Graduation is one of the most important milestones in students’ lives that they will remember and cherish forever. Therefore it is only natural that they would like to celebrate it with as much fervor as possible. However, while graduation can be an exciting time for students, it can be a tricky time for others trying to figure out what to give as a gift to the graduate to commemorate the occasion and make the moment more special for them.
So, if someone in your family or circle is graduating college and you are racking your brain for what to give them as a gift, read this article to get a few great ideas.
Finding the Perfect Gift for Your 2023 Graduate
If you feel overwhelmed about what to get your graduate as a gift, you are not alone. It is normal to want to make your loved one feel special and show that you appreciate all the hard work they put into studying through their school or college years. So, whether your loved one is going to college, getting a job, moving out, or has any other plans, here are a few gift ideas that may help them for the future and or help them celebrate their achievement.
Celebrate Their Milestone
Graduating high school or college is a milestone after which the graduate enters the next phase of life. Whether they are getting admission to a college or university or gearing up for their first interview to get a job, it may be a good idea to give presents that can help them be ready and get a jumpstart on the new phase of life. Here are a few tips:
- Give something to help them enjoy their time off before their new job or degree, for instance, a streaming service subscription or a gift certificate for an activity they enjoy, like aerobics, swimming classes, mini golf, etc. You can also get books or art supplies depending on their interest.
- If the graduate plans to move out and get their own space, you can gift them home goods like kitchen appliances, crockery, gadgets, etc.
- If you want to gift them something for their new job, get something that may help them make a good first impression, like a bag, tablet, laptop cover, pen, etc.
Give a Memento
If the graduate is close to you and is significant in your life, a meaningful graduation gift that will remind them of you and remind them that you are and will be there for them in the future is a great idea. Here are a few ideas for meaningful and personalized gifts for graduates.
- A pen, watch, bag, folder journal, or wallet with their initials engraved on the item. You can also give jewelry, cufflinks, or keychains with engraving.
- A personalized frame with their graduation photo, their degree or diploma certificate, or their institution's logo on it
- A special edition of a rare or their favorite book
- A family heirloom if you feel they are old enough to take good care of it.
Sometimes giving cash as a gift can be the best idea as it can give the graduates a financial boost they may need to transition into the next phase of life. Alternatively, if you are clueless about what to give, you can give cash so they can splurge and spend it as they like.
How much you choose to give depends on your budget, your relationship with the graduate, and whether they graduate from school or college. However, you can even make a cash gift unique by adding a gift card with a personalized note or wish. Alternatively, if you want to give them something that will be beneficial in the long term, you can buy stocks for them or open a savings account in their name.
Celebrate the Moment
If the graduate is someone who looks up to you or enjoys your company, consider taking them out for a nice dinner. Your time may be the most valuable present for them. Think of what they may enjoy for a special meal, whether a fast food joint they have been going to since childhood or a nice fancy restaurant.
Make the occasion more special by being attentive towards them; ask questions to find out what they have learned and their dreams. Share your life experiences, especially if they want to go in the same field as yours or join a profession you are familiar with. Offer support through your resources and connections to help them move ahead in life if you can.
Hopefully, these ideas may help steer you in the right direction when figuring out what to give your graduate. Graduation is a significant accomplishment in their life, and a gift is a great way to help them celebrate and let them know you are proud of their achievement. At the end of the day, it's the thought and efforts that count, and if you decide on a gift that carries meaning for them and they realize the sentiments behind it, you have mastered the art of successful gift giving and also made your loved one very happy in the process.